Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday Hockey Blowout


I am still baffled by how well the hockey picks have performed so far, and the lucky ride is likely to end at some point, but it sure takes the edge off the lame NBA season to see that we're up 10 units in a sport we know nothing about. Today, there are 7 picks that meet our uninformed criteria. Unfortunately, since we don't know anything about the sport, we don't have any subjective way of narrowing down the list. So, tonight's ridiculous number of NHL picks, all risking half a unit:

Sabres +144
Islanders +142
Canadiens +164
Lightning +180
Blues +122
Oilers +136
Kings +310
(yes, that's +310)

If we can get just 2 out of those 7, I'll go to bed relieved that this wasn't the stupidest thing I've ever done. Do not try this at home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, betting on 7 NHL dogs to cover hoping to hit one or two. Isn't the same as betting on every horse at the track? Not much handicapping involved.

Unknown said...

I've been completely honest about how much "handicapping" goes into the hockey picks, which is to say, not much. As I've said before, I've never watched a hockey game on TV, I've attended 2 although I was just there for the beer, and I have no idea what the rules are. So, no, not much handicapping involved at all.

And it's not accurate to say I'm hoping to hit one or two, I'm hoping to hit all 7, even though that's highly unlikely. What I said was that even if only 2 of them win, it won't really ruin my day. If we go 2-5, that's probably only a loss of about one unit (unless the Kings are one of the winners, of course). If we hit 3 or 4, that's probably a winning day.

Grover said...

For it to be similar to betting at the track, there would have to be a 40% house edge.

Also we'd have to wear Members Only jackets, chain-smoke Marlboro Reds, and drink cheap whiskies on the rocks.

Unknown said...

And if I was going to bet every horse at the track without any thought at all, there would be 12 picks instead of 7. But, I must admit, I am wearing my Members Only jacket right now.