Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Afternoon

I sent Grover an e-mail telling him if he didn't get his computer issues resolved soon, I was going to start making 5-unit plays on all the -200 or higher favorites, AND start making French Open tennis picks on the blog. He is on notice. On to some baseball picks for a lazy holiday afternoon:

Braves +110 (Matchbook), 1 unit to win 1.10 units

I've been really impressed with this Jurrjens kid so far. And as I've said before, the D-Backs can't hit. Braves have a great shot at handing Webb his second loss today, which is way overdue.

Nationals +134 (Matchbook), 1 unit to win 1.34 units

Bergmann has a K/BB of 26/7 so far this year. That is not a typo: 26 strikeouts and only 7 walks. Sheets has been a little lucky so far, and the Brewers don't hit righties very well. I'll take the home dog in this spot.

Dodgers +118 (WSEX), 1 unit to win 1.18 units

Dempster has been been pitching way over his head so far this year (BABIP = .218). The Dodgers hitters have hit well against him in a limited number of appearances. Billingsley, on the other hand, has pitched much better than his 4-5 record would lead you to believe if that's all that you looked at. Pretty close matchup, I'll take the dog. Good luck everybody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm taking Florida +116, White Sox -107 and 2 units on under 8.5 for Red Sox vs. Mariners.

Question for ya Hambone - what's your ceiling for a favorite? -110? -120? Do you ever bet over/unders?

Rosie - aka Mush

Unknown said...

I don't have any firm ceiling, but I do hate to pay a lot of juice. It would extremely rare for me to play anything over -130 for sure. As for over/unders, I think we've played one (and I think it won). We don't have any real objection to doing so, we just have a limited about of time to put the picks together between our full-time jobs and having to coordinate with each other on the picks before they're posted, so we've focused primarily on sides. Kicking myself for not playing the Under 9.5 in the Met/Rockies game yesterday. Stared at it all day and then decided to leave it out. Dammit.
P.S. I like both Florida and the White Sox tonight. Both made my final cut last night. I will likely post one or both of them after I see what happens in the afternoon games. Good eye.