Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tarheel For Life

For background purposes, it needs to be said that I graduated from Duke University, and as you might imagine, I have been a big Duke fan for a long time. My blog partner, Grover, is huge fan of UNC, so he is really going to enjoy this story.

Tonight, sitting at a bar watching the Jazz/Lakers game with a group of friends, and holding a bet on Utah -5 (see below), when former Duke star Carlos Boozer got fouled with 3.0 seconds left and the Jazz up by exactly 5 points, I confidently announced to the table that if Boozer failed to hit even one of the two free throws to win my bet, I would renounce my allegiance to Duke and immediately become a Tar Heel fan. Well, if you watched the game, you know where this is going. With no need to make one to win the game (up 5 with only 3 seconds left), Boozer clanks both shots off the rim and my bet ends up a push (which is MUCH better than a loss, I haven't lost sight of that). So, now, I am obligated to cheer for the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. No matter how many one-and-done thugs they recruit, or how many times I have to look at Tyler Hansbrough with his mouth hanging open like a Neanderthal, I have to pull for them to win.

As much of a wimp as I am, it probably would have have been easier to just say I would kick Boozer's ass if he missed both. He would have put me in the hospital for a few days, but at least I could still look at myself in the mirror.

P.S. We were a blown save by Papelbon (how often does that happen?) away from a sweep in tonight's baseball picks. I think we ended up exactly even for the day. We can live with that.

No comments: