Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Hate Clint Hurdle (and the Thursday Night Picks)

I made the mistake of putting money (hypothetical money, of course, I discourage illegal internet wagering) on the Rockies this afternoon. Here's what transpired in the bottom of the 4th with the score tied at 1:

Jorge De La Rosa pitching:

Corey C. Hart: Hart struck out swinging.
Bill Hall: Hall singled to center.
Gabe Kapler: Kapler doubled to right, Hall scored.

OK, if I was a manager, at this point I'd think about maybe getting a reliever loose.

Mike Rivera: Rivera walked.
Dave Bush: Bush flied out to center.
Rickie Weeks: Weeks doubled to left, Kapler scored, Rivera to third.

I'd definitely have someone up at this point, if not in the game already.

J.J. Hardy: Hardy walked.

At this point the score is 3-1 and De La Rosa had throw somewhere in the neighborhood of 85 pitches, and has given up three hits and walked two guys in this inning alone. I think anyone who's ever watched baseball knows he's done. What's that, Clint Hurdle? You want to see if he can finish off the inning? OK, sure. Who cares if the bases are loaded and the game is still within reach? It's not like there's any danger in letting a clearly finished pitcher throw to scrubs like ... oh, Ryan Braun's up with Prince Fielder on deck?

That's so awful I can't even be sarcastic about it any more. For the sake of completion, here's what transpired, just as a blind six-year-old who's never heard of baseball could have predicted:

Ryan J. Braun: Braun singled to center, Rivera and Weeks scored, Hardy to third.
Prince Fielder: Fielder tripled to right, Hardy and Braun scored.
Corey C. Hart: Hart struck out swinging.

Rockies ownership- I like my job, but if you want me to help your team win games, I'm available. I'm a Jew, but I'll buy that crazy Jesus stuff you're selling if it will get me a job managing in the bigs. I guarantee you I'd be better at it than Clint Hurdle.

OK, two plays tonight. In both cases the public can't get enough of the favorites, but the line is curiously not moving, or moving towards the underdog. Hmm ...

Washington Nationals +137 (Matchbook), 1 unit to win 1.37 units.

In addition to the above rationale about line moves, the D-Backs continue to be overvalued and Bergmann is very good against right-handers (i.e. the D-backs outfield and a good bit of their firepower). They're either gonna start their scrub lefties or let their regulars struggle. Either way, I like it. Haren, as it turns out, is not all that great against right-handers. The Nats have a lot of righties in their lineup- I know this because it seems like a foul ball almost kills me in my seats along the first-base line every damn inning. Plus I looked it up, if that makes you feel better.

Pittsburgh Pirates +130 (BetUS), 1 unit to win 1.3 units.

"But, but, they're the Yankees! Who cares if they're making a one-day stop on their way from Tampa to Toronto to play a makeup game? Tha Yanks will get the job done!"

Fans who say stuff like that are the reason that a guy with an OPS around .750 who is also the worst-fielding shortstop in the game is starting the all-star game next week.

Sorry for the straw man. Couldn't help myself. I'm very bitter today. Vote Longoria!

No comments: