Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wednesday Baseball Picks and Bonus D.C. Golf Action

I live in D.C. I like to gamble. I also like to drink outdoors. As such, I'm making a couple calls on the 72-hole matchups for the AT&T National this weekend at Congressional. But first, the rest of the Wednesday baseball card:

Oakland A's +130 (Matchbook), 1 unit to win 1.3 units.

I get to fade the overrated Angels and the overrated Saunders, take the underrated A's and underrated Eveland, and entertain myself during a slow afternoon at work, all at the same time? Done and done.

Cleveland Indians -110 (Matchbook), 1.1 units to win 1 unit.

This was a Hambone play, I was wary because I don't like "big-name" pitchers like Sabathia, rarely value in them. Then Hambone pointed out that the line was moving in the opposite direction of the public. That's all I needed to know. I don't care who's playing, or even what sport it is. If you give me a chance to bet with the big money and against the public, I'm taking it.

Kansas City Royals +120 (Matchbook), 1 unit to win 1.2 units.

Orioles have presented lots of opportunities for value this season because they have pitchers that seem to toss up gems and stinkers at about the same rate. Cabrera is one of them. Plenty of value in that when you're opponent is overvalued, and that happens all the time if you play in the AL East. But we'll play the other side when the opponent is Meche and the Royals.

And now your AT&T National Tournament head-to-head plays. If you want plays to win the whole shabang, I highly recommend The Money Line Journal. Lines from WSEX:

Hunter Mahan +110 over Jim Furyk, 1 unit to win 1.1 units.

Dudley Hart +115 over Rocco Mediate, 1 unit to win 1.15 units.


Shouldn't surprise you that we're fading the two biggest "names" in the tournament. Both "underdogs" have lower 2008 adjusted scoring averages than the favorites in these matchups. Sign me up. Not really enough of a record at Congressional to establish anything- both Mahan and Furyk did well at this tournament in 2007, Furyk slightly better, but Mahan's 65 on Sunday is enough to convince me he's comfortable there. One out of two underdogs and the resulting small profit is all we ask. Slow and steady wins the race.

No comments: