Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday Baseball

Please see the post below re: NFL Win Totals. Would like to hear your thoughts on the when and where, if you have any.

Hambone and I were delighted to find that we both liked the same two games up top. We're adding a third for good measure.

Minnesota Twins +124 (Matchbook), 1 unit to win 1.24 units.

I can't find a single statistic in which Ponson is better than Blackburn, except maybe in "donuts consumed," or "drinks bought for my friends at the bar at the Philadelphia Marriott." Minnesota has outscored the Yankees by 35 runs this season, has the better starting pitcher, and is getting +124. Yankee fans- a gambler's best friend.

San Diego Padres +132 (Matchbook), 1 unit to win 1.32 units.

Two things are clear. One, Homer Bailey is talented. Two, MLB hitters have him completely figured out this year, and he has yet to adjust. The public is hammering Cincinnati, so we'll fade Bailey and go with the Padres and this Banks kid. He's prone to the longball, which gives me pause since the game is at the GABP, but there's value in this number.


Atlanta Braves +103 (Matchbook), 1 unit to win 1.03 units.

Again, public tripping over themselves to bet on a young gun, in this case Chris Volstad. He's off the a red-hot start in the bigs, so that is probably the cause of the stampede. I've got three words for prospective bettors: small sample size. Is this kid going to be killing my Nats and helping my hairline to recede for years to come? Probably. Is he gonna finish the season with an 0.84 ERA? Probably not. A .233 BABIP further explains his red-hot start. We'll take the undervalued Campillo here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ficticious bets for the day, assuming $5k bankroll are...

(all money line bets)

SD $216
Atl $226
Pit $189
Cle $117
Oak $492
Tor $285
KC $101
Tex $498

Unknown said...

I like all of them, actually, in different degrees. Obviously, we like Padres and Braves, but I also had Texas and Oakland as 2 of my 5-6 suggestions to my partner this morning. That Oakland line seems way too high. Good luck tonight.

Anonymous said...

2 out of 3 for you and 5 out of 8 for me. I netted $863 on a $2124 block of wagers. I am having trouble figuring out how to correctly weight that Tampa Bay home field advantage. :)
vr, Xeifrank