Friday, October 24, 2008

Fumbling it All Away


New Mexico outgained Air Force by 75 yards last night, but gave the game away with a seemingly never-ending series of blunders:

1st quarter: Lobos fumble on the Air Force 4-yard line, Air Force picks up the loose ball and returns it 96 yards for a touchdown. That is not a typo: a 96-yard fumble recovery. At least a 10-point swing there, probably 14.

3rd quarter: New Mexico fumbles a kickoff return, recovered by Air Force. Air Force then scores a touchdown on that drive.

3rd quarter: 4th and 1 on the Air Force 10 yard line, with the score only 17-10, and New Mexico decides to go for it rather than kick the easy field goal. They can't pick up the yard and therefore turn the ball over on downs. With 2 or 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter, I could understand that. 4th and 1 on Air Force's 35 yard line, where a field goal is unlikely, I could understand going for it there also. But, in the 3rd quarter, on the 10 yard line, down only 7 points, I don't get it.

I thought the goal for these teams was to try and win these games, but obviously, I'm going to have to re-evaluate. Back later after I break a couple more things. We'll try to have some early picks up for tomorrow, but I really need to look a little closer after two disheartening losses this week.

No comments: