Wednesday, October 22, 2008

World Series - Game 1

Depending on the lines, of course, we don't expect to playing every game of this series, but we do like a side tonight:

Phillies -105 (Matchbook), 1.05 units to win 1 unit

Writing this post here at work where I don't have all of my notes handy (they're at home, and I'm not sure I'll get out of here in time to do this there), but Hamels/Kazmir is the one pitching matchup where the Phillies have a clear advantage. Kazmir's K/9 rate this season is a little higher, but his walk rate is twice as high as Hamels which diminishes any advantage there to me. The Philly hitters, based on OPS, have performed better this season against lefties than I expected, and facing a lefty starter like Kazmir looks like it's only going to have a significant negative impact on Ryan Howard, while everybody else should be fine. Grover tells me that the Baseball Prospectus folks have Philadelphia slightly favored (52/48) to win the series, and I have to believe that somewhere factored into that thinking is Hamels winning his starts, because it ain't Moyer or Blanton. Public slightly on the Rays tonight, but not a huge difference. Either way, we're on the visitors. Good luck everybody.

No comments: