Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Flirting With Disaster


Dammit, dammit, dammit. I knew that if I tried to pick and choose between the 3 yesterday, I would pick the losers and pass the winners. Dammit. Of course, I would have been better off just skipping them all, but that's water under the bridge and I'm not going to complain about it anymore. Dammit. For Wednesday afternoon:

College Football

Flirting with disaster here because we're getting dangerously close to going into the red in this sport (help us, Utah, you're our only hope!). Just one from the early games:

Vanderbilt +3 +110, 1 unit to win 1.1 units

75% on BC at wagerline, 76% according to Sports Insights, yet the line has actually dropped from the opener of BC -4. Basically, a home game for Vandy, who should be extremely pumped up for their first bowl game in 342 years, while BC, which goes to bowl games all the time, might not be so excited about being in the Gaylord Bowl. When BC kicks the last-second winning FG to give me the push, rather than the win I would have had if I paid the extra juice for +3.5, you'll see me on CNN taking hostages somewhere.

College Basketball

Another potential disaster, because somehow while reviewing the opening lines last night, I failed to notice that most of the college hoops games were afternoon games. Now, I'm here at the office without my list of leans from last night or my bastardized "power ratings" that I use to generate those leans. I think I can look at the card and remember what most of them were, but you have been forewarned that you are relying on the short-term memory of somebody who has had more mind-altering subtances run through his brain than most lab rats. The early afternoon picks:

Harvard +6 +100, 1 unit to win 1 unit

Northwestern +3 +100, 1 unit to win 1 unit

Northeastern (symmetry!) +17 +114, 1 unit to win 1.14 units

Indiana State +9.5 +101, 1 unit to win 1.01 units

Evansville +8 -112, 1.12 units to win 1 unit


Hopefully, I won't be around a computer when this horror show gets going. Remember how computer games used to have a "panic" key that you could hit if your boss walked by and the screen would turn into some kind of fake spreadsheet. I think CBS Sportsline needs that for their scoreboards. Not planning on working super late today, so should be home in time for the later games, but the leans are Bowling Green and Middle Tennessee State at the moment. Of course, now that I let those slip, the books will start desperately moving those lines against me. Which will only make me want them more. Sick.

1 comment:

Jonny said...

At least they have a "boss" button on their march madness on demand which is pretty cool.