Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Hate The NBA

Three picks last night, three frustrating endings:

Pick #1: Bucks +3.5

Margin after 3rd quarter: Bucks up by 6
Margin after 4th quarter: Bucks lose by 5 (outscored 26-15 in 4th)

Pick #2: Nets +2.5

Margin after 3rd quarter: Nets up by 6 (sound familiar?)
Margin after 4th quarter: Nets lose by 11 (outscored 40-23 in the 4th. yes, you read that correctly, 40 pts allowed in the 4th quarter)

Picks #3: Clippers +3

Margin after 3Q: Clippers up by 3
Margin after 4Q: Tie game
Margin after OT: Clippers lose by 6

That last one is the most frustrating. The books set basketball and football lines based on regulation time, so the bets should be paid at the end of regulation time. If it's a tie, the underdog pick is the winner and the favorites lose. Period. I've always felt this way, but I guess if you're a square who plays favorites all the time, you love having that last chance to redeem yourself in overtime after you make a bad pick. Next time I think about betting on these idiots in the NBA, I'm just going smash myself in the balls with a hammer. It would be less painful.

Of course, we went 5-1 in the college games, so maybe I shouldn't whine so much, but I would have been happy if just ONE of those three had covered. Bastards.

No comments: